There are two ways to change units in Fusion 360. The first method changes the units of the current design. The second method allows you to set a default unit system for new designs.
Method 1 – Change Design Units
Details: Change the unit system of a running project.
- Go to Browser > Drop-down Document Settings.
- Hover over Units: in.
- Click on the “Change Active Units” pop-up icon.
- Drop-down Unit Type to select the new unit.
- Click OK.
✨ Tip: Activate Set as Default to use the assigned unit setting for new designs.
The new units will apply for both active designs and imported 3D model formats, such as OBJ, STEP, and STL.
Method 2 – Change Default Units
Details: Change the units of all designs at once.
- Click on your username icon in the upper toolbar.
- Select Preferences > Default Units drop-down > Design.
- Drop-down Default units for new design > Select units.
- Click OK.
In the future, all new drawings will be based on these settings.
You may encounter imported 3D file formats that are metric by default. Follow the steps in the first method and consider the impact this will have on the model you are working with. Use the second method to change the default unit system before starting a new design.